Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Another Report On QuiqMeds

I feel like I am becoming a cheerleader or spokesperson for QuiqMeds, without even seeing it in action. In any case, I have nothing to do with the company, but I think it is a neat technology /device that allows for patients and caregivers to get their medications at the doctor's office and eliminate that step of going to the pharmacy.

As I can attest second hand, when my wife takes our kids to the pediatrician and gets a script, she doesn't go directly the pharmacy unless it is on her way home (which it is not). Even if she leaves the kids with the nanny and gets her own script from her MD, chances are it will sit in the car, her purse or drawer for at least two or three days.

With QuikMeds, the doctor can dispense medications from a machine with a few touches of a screen. I have some problems with this, but I assume that he company has already taken security, and compliance measures into account. My worries being the "freshness" of the medications, the waste of the medications not filled, the accuracy, etc... All the issues that arise without the human touch of a pharmacist - plus the trust that the medication is the proper medication.

Can I trust that the person who checked the machine and loaded the meds is not a junkie or thief who replaced all the narcotics with OTC generic headache pills? Maybe they do not even dispense these types of meds? That being said, I will check into the company and try to get a demonstration.

Here is a link to a short article and the video of a story that ran last week on CBS 3.

No comments: