Friday, June 20, 2008

i2y Stupid Cancer Gala

Last night I attended the I'm To Young For This! Cancer Foundation's 2nd Annual Stupid Cancer Gala. I got to meet the founder, Matthew Zachary, with whom I have been emailing with for the last few weeks. i2y is a fantastic resource for cancer patients and survivors under 40. Matthew is a cancer survivor and was surprised there wasn't a voice for him and others like him, so he founded i2y 16 months ago. Since then, he has been on a whirlwind of promotion and fundraising, even garnering a spot in Time's 2007 Top Websites.

The mood at the Gala was very upbeat, with patients, survivors, family, and volunteers all supporting each other, sipping on drinks and making merry. From what I can tell about the vibe of the foundation, "having cancer really sucks", but you should not let it ruin your life. Unfortunately, I could not stay longer, since I had to go back to CT, but it has been very moving and inspirational for me to learn about and participate in i2y.

If you or anyone you know can benefit from their services, I strongly recommend visiting their site and finding the resources you or your loved one needs.

No comments: