Wednesday, September 12, 2007

An Abstract That Makes You Go Duh

I have read a couple of interesting abstracts over the last few days but this one just struck me as a "duh, of course" finding. I am all for research in developing countries, and for studies regarding technology for health promotion and medication adherence - I mean I work for a healthcare technology company that is focused on medication adherence - BUT this study just seems a little unnecessary and the findings a little weak for me to digest. I would like to know how much it cost and who had the bright idea to do this. Was an all expense trip to Peru part of the reasoning?

I am probably just a little miffed because when I read the title I was pretty excited to see the paper - but when I read the abstract, I was disappointed. This must of been how my 6th grade teacher felt about my book report on The Old Man and the Sea: a man went fishing and caught a fish.

Here is the provisional abstract for you to decide from BMC:

Access, use and perceptions regarding Internet, cell phones and PDAs as a means for health promotion for people living with HIV in Peru

Background:
Internet tools, cell phones, and other information and communication technologies are being used by HIV-positive people on their own initiative. Little is known about the perceptions of HIV-positive people towards these technologies in Peru. The purpose of this paper is to report on perceptions towards use of information and communication technologies as a means to support antiretroviral medication adherence and HIV transmission risk reduction.

Methods:
We conducted a qualitative study (in-depth interviews) among adult people living with HIV in two community-based clinics in Peru.

Results:
31 HIV-positive individuals in Lima were interviewed (n = 28 men, 3 women). People living with HIV in Peru are using tools such as cell phones, and the Internet (via E-mail, chat, list-serves) to support their HIV care and to make social and sexual connections. In general, they have positive perceptions about using the Internet, cell phones and PDA for HIV health promotion interventions.

Conclusions:
Health promotion interventions using information and communication technology tools among people living with HIV in resource-constrained settings may be acceptable and feasible, and can build on existing patterns of use.

No comments: